Institute of Social and Preventive Medicine
University of Lausanne
Within social and preventive medicine, the specific missions of the IUMSP are as follows:
- Improving the organisation and functioning of the different sectors of the health system:
- Identifying health service intervention priorities, in other words, the structures and care activities destined to preserve or restore the state of health of a population (health services include the entirety of the benefits assigned to caring for the health problems of individuals)
- Improving the quality of health care
- Strengthening the position of disease prevention and health promotion within the health system:
- Identifying prevention priorities
- Improving the quality of preventive interventions
- Encouraging the development and application of quantitative methods in public health and clinical medicine through:
- study and development of sound operating procedures and statistical software,
- application of sound statistical procedures in biomedical fields (in particular the analysis of the length of hospital stays and other variables in treatment consumption),
- development of other quantitative methods for sanitary administration.
To achieve these aims, the IUMSP carryies out activities in teaching, research and development (R+D) and services. The IUMSP is organised into five units and one group. Additional information can be obtained at http://www.hospvd.ch/iumsp.